I have been away for a while on vacation and at Summer Camp with my Troop. Time to get back in the saddle and get ready to kick off a new year of Scouting!
- The 2016 Program Kickoff is coming up on Thursday, August 11th. Click Here for more info.
- The Southwest Florida Boy Scout Night will be held at McKechnie Field on Saturday, August 27th. Click Here for more info.
- Mac provided a Blank Budget form for District and Non-Camp Facility Events. Click Here to access. This form will remain accessible on the Resources Page as well.
If you have any Scout worthy information that you would like to share with the Scouts and Scouters of Manatee District, please email me at email@example.com. Thank you and I'll see you on the trail.
Editor - The Manatee Rambler
June 10 - Camp Sun-N-Fun
June 5 - Important Information about 2016 Cub & Webelos Summer Resident Camp
A quick reminder: Registration for 2016 Cub & Webelos Summer Resident Camp closes June 6th at 3:00 pm. If you would like to attend and haven't registered, there are a handful of slots still available (registration link below). You do not need to attend with your pack. If your pack is not attending as a unit you can register as a Provisional Camper.
FOR THOSE ALREADY REGISTERED:
1. Please make sure you have a BSA Health and Medical Record completed for all youth and adults attending (Parts A, B & C). Part C must be signed by a Medical Doctor, a Physician's Assistant or a Licensed Nurse Practitioner. No exceptions can be made to this National policy. Forms should be turned into your unit leader and then forwarded to the Camp Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). A link to the form can be found below.
2. Each unit must send at least one adult to the program planning meeting to be held Thursday, June 16th at 7 pm in the Dining Hall at Camp Miles. This is a change from the original date of June 6th published in the leader guide so please make sure you alert your unit leader and mark your calendar. It is crucial that at least one adult representative is in attendance because unit activities will be selected at this time. These are the fun pack activities done in the late afternoon and early evening, not the Adventure classes you have already signed up for. If you want your unit to have first shot at the popular activities you have to be at the meeting.
3. Final balance of fees for camp are due by 11:59 pm on June 6th.
Our staff is looking forward to providing a rewarding experience for your Scout during camp. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Yours in Scouting,
Director of Camping & Activities
Southwest Florida Council
June 4 - National Certificate of Merit Awarded
(Image Source: http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/article77364197.html)
On May 12th, two of our own scouts were awarded the BSA National Certificate of Merit at the 2016 Good Scout Award Dinner, honoring Attorney Cliff L. Walters. The National Certificate of Merit is one of four "National awards for lifesaving and meritorious action ... for outstanding and unusual acts that demonstrate unusual heroism, skill, or bravery and reflect Scouting ideals, based on the following criteria: National Certificate of Merit. Has performed a significant act of service that is deserving of special national recognition." (http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/honor.aspx)
Congratulations to both Caleb Savage and Nathan Sisk, and thank you for being great examples of the benefits of Boy Scouting.
Read more about their heroic efforts below.
FOX 13 News Article: http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/84020962-story
News Channel 8 Article: http://wfla.com/2016/02/02/boy-scouts-rescue-manatee-river-boaters/
Bradenton Herald Article: http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/article77364197.html
May 24 - Teen Driver Challenge
May 9 - 2016 Manatee District Pinewood Derby
I wanted to take a moment to tell you how pleased I was with our Pinewood Derby on Saturday. We had a very good turnout and I expect that it will be even greater next year.
Nathan and Michelle Manning ran a well-organized race and it was through Nate’s efforts that the event was able to be held at Gettel Toyota of Lakewood.
The races were run inside the huge air-conditioned showroom and General Manager Bill Finocchiaro made everyone feel welcome and accommodated the event quite well.
The Bradenton Marauder’s mascot, Marty, made an appearance and helped keep the boys (and adults) entertained prior to race time.
Matt, from Andersen Race Park had one of the facilities go-carts on display and for the boys to sit in and dream of racing for real.
The guys from Troop 64 stepped up to provide food service (The Eagle’s Nest Cantina) and the hot dogs, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chips, and drinks helped to feed the multitude. Thanks to Karl Knueppel, Dalton Knueppel, Robert Hicks, Gary Grote, Danny Patnaude, Nick Patnaude, and Jack Jensen for filling tummies throughout the event.
John Boeglin provided the track and timing system and his son Cole oversaw the loading of the cars and making sure the heats were run accurately.
Thanks also to Southwest Florida Council for providing the trophies and to interim District Executive Bill Lawrence for making sure they were on hand.
There were several other folks who also stepped up and helped and I am sorry that I did not get their names, but we appreciated everything they did to keep the event running smoothly.
I created a short video to capture some of the highlights and you can view it from here. Photos from the event may be viewed/downloaded from here.
The Council Pinewood Derby is on the calendar for Saturday, May 21st, but no details are provided. As soon as I learn anything more about the event, I will share it with you
Manatee District Program Chair
View Prior News and Updates